The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) offers several national scholarships for students. In addition, the National Capital Chesapeake Bay Chapter (NCCB) offers a regional scholarship in honor of Betty Endicott, the first female news director in Washington, DC. Students may apply for both national and regional scholarships. NATAS is a non-profit organization dedicated to advancement in the television arts & sciences.
The 2020 Betty Endicott NATAS-NCCB Chapter Student Scholarship Recipients
This year Kelsey Johnson of Howard University and Courtland Sutton of American University have each earned $3,000 to be used towards their education. Both are standouts among the almost dozen scholarship applicants. Ms. Johnson is an exemplary student of the Cathy Hughes School of Communications, holding a 4.0 grade point average. She is also an Annenberg Honors Program scholar. Ms. Sutton is a graduate student at American’s School of Communication. She has a passion for human interest stories involving news, documentaries, and fictional work to tell authentic stories of people of color. Read the full press release.
Eligibility Requirements for Applicants
- Be enrolled in an accredited two or four year college or graduate program in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, DC
- Be a full-time sophomore, junior or graduating senior with a declared major in communications or broadcast journalism
- Be a full-time graduate student in pursuit of an advanced degree in either communications or broadcast journalism
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Demonstrate an aptitude or interest in communication or broadcast journalism through coursework, extracurricular activities, internships, jobs and volunteer work
The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences offers several scholarships to students.
- Faculty Sponsor name, email, and phone number
- Scores, Grades & Honors: GPA and at least one composite SAT or ACT score must be submitted
- Creative Works: role, location, and year for communications-oriented products that you have produced during the last four years
- School Activities and Field/Work Experience
- Career Aspirations Essay
- Creative Essay
If you would like to receive Educational Outreach email notifications request to be added to our email list.