Face Time with the Pros
Journalists in the Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, DC region share inside tips to help students and young professionals land that first/next job. Face Time with the Pros is a collection of seminars designed to help students learn how to be better storytellers, perform on camera, and find out what hiring managers are really looking for. This three-night virtual event includes a variety of seminars each evening from 7 to 9 PM Eastern. The best part: it’s FREE but you need to register to be included.
Click here for a printable copy of the schedule.
Tuesday, March 2nd from 7-9 PM EST
7:00-7:55 PM Realities of the News Industry
- Overview of changes in the Industry
- Being a good newsroom citizen will get you everywhere!
- The REAL world of journalism, the pros and cons: benefits and challenges
8:00-8:55 PM How to get the story: insider tips
- How to find story ideas and build contacts and effectively pitch your ideas
- Who to interview and why video is essential for all platforms
- How to be a true storyteller: why writing counts
Wednesday, March 3rd from 7-9 PM EST
7:00-7:55 PM Producing a Documentary
- How to start
- Elements needed
- How to get viewership
8:00-8:55 PM How to be effective on other platforms: from Podcasts to Social Media
- How to build followers
- How to create content that gets traction
- How to cross promote so it helps the Newsroom
Thursday, March 4th from 7-9 PM EST
7:00-7:55 PM Performance on Camera
- Live shots
- Safety (tips during COVID, riots, etc.)
8:00-8:55 PM Who is hiring and how to get that first job
- Tips and tricks from hiring managers
- Expectations in the first job and the necessity to be multi skilled
If you would like to receive future notifications please request to be added to our email list.